My 24th birthday is tomorrow, and tbh I feel kind of weird about it. I had a HORRIBLE birthday celebration last year, and the year before that I didn’t get to celebrate at all because my friends kind of flaked on me. I’ve always been a person that loves to ring in my birthday in a big way, but those experiences have made me scared to celebrate.
But I’ve decided that even if I don’t have people to celebrate with, I still have myself. I shouldn’t wait for others to treat me when I can treat myself. Mental health is also something that’s very important to me, and when I came upon this birthday check-in on Cosmo, I knew I had to share it.
Basically, it’s a list of things you should reflect on around your birthday. You can do it at any time, but the reason why your birthday is a good time to do it is because we tend to be more contemplative around our birthdays as we look to the year ahead.
- What do I like about my life?
- What are some things I want to be different by next year?
- Who are the people who most add to my life?
- Who are the people that I know are toxic, or create drama in my life?
- What is the most important habit or activity to add or subtract from day-to-day living?
- How would I rate my life in the realms of career, finances, health, relationships, growth, fun, and lifestyle?
- What is something I can do to fix the area of my life that’s most lagging?
- How can I remember my plan throughout the year?
- Who is someone I can trust to help me get to where I want to be over the next year?
- If there’s a gap between where I am now and where I want to be, what’s one step I can take now to close that gap?
To anyone’s that had a birthday that they weren’t happy with, my heart goes out to you. It can suck entering a new age under shitty circumstances. Just remember that as long as you’re happy with yourself, nothing else matters.