Welcome to the brand new Summer Series! I’ll be creating a hub where you can get advice and ideas on everything you need to have a good summer. Believe it or not, I’ve already started thinking about what I want to do this summer. Since I’ve graduated from college, my summers have been boring and I’ve been either too unmotivated or too broke to do anything fun besides go to the beach once or twice. But this summer, I’m going to change all of that. I am going to have fun, do things that I’ve always wanted to do, and overall just have a good time. Traveling is definitely something that I want to do this year, and these are some tips and tricks to help you get your summer travel plans in order.
- Sign up for travel sites – Getting flight and hotels deals in my inbox is so convenient and makes me excited for what’s to come. There are a myriad of sites you can sign up for, and you can’t really go wrong with any of them. The ones that I use are Secret Flying, Airfare Watch Dog, and Jet Blue.
- Get a travel credit card – There are so many travel credit cards out there, with various reward programs and incentives. You can get one through your bank or through an airline. I am personally waiting until I for sure want to book a flight and hotel, as the card I want to get will give me bonus points if I spend a certain amount of money within the first 90 days of opening the card.
- Plan early – As most people know, flights are usually a bit cheaper if you buy tickets a couple months before you plan to travel. But another part of the reason why I’m writing this post now is so that you’ll have time to think about what you want to do this summer. I’m very type A when it comes to planning, and I’m already filling out my calendar with where I want to go and what I want to do this summer. Planning ahead means that you won’t be scrambling once June gets here.
- Follow along on Twitter – I have seen so many different Twitter accounts that give inside info on flight and hotel deals, price mixups, and overall advice about travel. A couple of my favorites are Thrifty Traveler, Travel Noire, Secret Flying, The Flight Deal, and Fare Deal Alert.
- Save save save – Obviously, you need to save money if you want to travel this summer! Take a portion of every paycheck that you get, set it aside in a savings account or piggy bank (very old school, but that’s what I prefer to do), and don’t touch it until it’s time to book.
What are your plans for this summer? Comment below!