Sometimes, you enter in a job with the highest of hopes, and a load of excitement, only to have your expectations dashed when the job doesn’t live up to your expectations. Don’t worry! There are things you can do to make your job experience a little more enjoyable.
- Analyze what’s really making you upset – Is it the long hours? Your co-workers? The overall environment at the office? Once you’ve pinpointed what part of your job is making you unhappy, you can move forward and try to change it.
- Talk to your boss – Contrary to popular belief, your boss does want you succeed. Have a talk with them about what’s stopping you from being your best self at your job, and see what changes can be made. Maybe you’ll start working from home. Maybe the dynamics of your work team will change. You’ll never know until you try.
- Talk to HR – Although, most bosses want to help, there are some that might the source of your issues at work. If this is the case, take your worries to HR. They can talk with you, reassign you, and help you leave the company if you need to.
- Think of the money – Ok. Staying at a job solely for the money is horrible and is a scenario I wish on no one. BUT sometimes that money and security is enough to keep you going, especially if you don’t have better options at the moment.
- Change your thinking – Maybe the problem is you (no offense!). A lot of times, we make ourselves miserable with negative thinking and bad energy. Once you adopt a more positive outlook, you may start to see things differently.
- When in doubt, leave! – If your job is making you miserable to the point where it’s all you think about, to the point where you dread coming every day, just quit. Another opportunity will come. Just make sure to start your job search before leaving your current job.
The job world can be a hard one to maneuver in, and unfortunately most people will encounter a bad job (or two) in their career. The good news is, you WILL find a job you like. I promise.
Any other advice to add? Comment below!