Insecurity is a killer. It’ll make you feel unworthy, uncomfortable, and uncertain.
My 4 years in high school were not the happiest of times. I had friends, even boyfriends, but I was still kind of regarded as one of the uncool kids. When I went to college, it was like being in an alternate universe. I was wanted. People wanted to hang out with me, I was invited to places, people noticed when I wasn’t there. I had a great friend group and I looked great.
Then came college gradation. I remember sitting on my bed back in my parents’ house, still in my cap and gown and knowing that nothing would ever be the same. As I spent the following year trying to find a job, I lost friends and gained weight. Not a winning combination.
I didn’t realize how bad my insecurity issues were until I went bowling with my family one weekend. Every time I would go up to bowl, I would worry that the other people in the bowling alley were making fun of my body, my outfit, and the way I bowled. I realized I couldn’t go on this way; it wasn’t healthy and I wasn’t enjoying life the way I used to.
It’s definitely been a struggle to feel more confident, but here are some mantras/affirmations I plan to use to help myself get better.
- I am more than my outfit or how I look that day.
- Who I am as a person is more important than how I look.
- Anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend.
- Just because it isn’t happening right now doesn’t mean it never will.
- You are not a reflection of those who could not love you properly.
- Things will work out for you.
- Who you are is totally and completely up to you.
What tips and tricks do you guys use when you’re feeling less than confident?